Saturday, October 17, 2009

Wired World or Weird World ???

Today is Diwali.

Festival of Lights, Joys, Sweets, Crackers and a lot to follow...

I remember my childhood days...

Cleaning the house a few days before Diwali...

Buying new clothes...

Buying crackers...

That fragrance of different delicacies made as a part of the celebration of this festival lasting for more than a fortnight...

Going on terrace with family to fire crackers for five days...

Going to the temple on the next day of Diwali (Next day of Diwali is celebrated as new year in Gujarat)

And then begins the trip...

A trip to all the relatives' and friends' places...

You may not have seen someone's face during the whole year but if you don't visit that relative's place in the fortnight after Diwali, there should be something terribly wrong with your relationship preventing you from wishing that person...

Meeting more than a thousand people and wishing them...




And the scenario now...

Yesterday, I'd gone out to Domino's Pizza in Chennai with a friend to celebrate Diwali or rather to fool ourselves by trying to get the asleep hidden festivity out, which didn't come out.

Two movies followed our dinner.

A chat till late night encompassing philosophy, life @ IIT, life post IIT, life in Chennai etc etc...

Finally I am writing this blog on a Diwali afternoon ALONE...

I'll just go out to do a prepaid recharge of my phone, as tomorrow I'll be making hundreds of calls to wish people on the new year dawn...

After wishing the near(!!!!!!) and dear ones, and a Gujarati get together, I just organized, I'll get back to studies for the exam on Monday.

In short, the elaborate celebration, I mentioned above, will be shrunk to a few hours of hogging outside and a few phone calls.

It seems education sometimes steals the festivity from people. Increasing ambitions sway us away from the roots, from where we belong to, from what we are fond of.

But again NO PAIN NO GAIN...

This was just an example.

By no means, I'm saying, I should give up my studies, go back home and start celebrating Diwali, education in IIT, means much more than a Diwali or two for one and all.

But I've made an attempt to bring to the readers' notice the changing priorities in our lives. Sometimes running after money, we forget to use money.

It's good to have money and the things money can buy, but it's better to make sure, that while running behind money, you've not missed the things, that money can't buy...

I remember the dialogues by Vidya Balan from Lagey Raho Munnabhai.


शहर की इस दौडमें दौड के करना क्या है?

अगर यही जीना है दोस्तों, तो फ़िर मरना क्या है?

पहली बारिश में ट्रैन लेट होने की फ़िक्र है,

भूल गए,,, भीगते हुए टेहलना क्या है?

सीरियल के किरदारों का सारा हाल है मालूम,

पर मां का हाल पूछने की फ़ुरसत कहां है?

अब रेत पे नंगे पांव टेहलते क्युं नहीं,

१०८ है चैनल, पर दिल बहलते क्युं नही?

ईन्टर्नैट पे दुनिया से तो टच में है,

लेकिन पडोस में कौन रेहता है, जानते तक नहीं.

मोबाईल, लैन्डलाईन; सबकी भरमार है,

लेकिन जीगरी दोस्त तक पहुंचे, ऐसे तार कहां है?

कब डूबते हुए सुरज को देखा था, याद है?

कब जाना था, शाम का गुजरना क्या है?

तो दोस्तों, शहर की ईस दौडमें दौड के करना क्या है?

अगर यही जीना है दोस्तों, तो फ़िर मरना क्या है?

5 comments:

  1. "...ईन्टर्नैट पे दुनिया से तो टच में है,

    लेकिन पडोस में कौन रेहता है, जानते तक नहीं...."


    भले ही ये फ़िल्मी डायलाग हो, मगर है तो ये सोलह आने सच!

    ReplyDelete
  2. true...Education steals festivity...

    ReplyDelete
  3. ya, education steals festivity but it also gives you responsibility...!! More you are educated, more you are responsible to your country and later world...!! so, leaving a social life full of festivity and enjoyment and being responsible to your family is very good, but leaving a life responsible to your country is not a bad option, but of course you should not forget your family and friends.

    and, education does not always mean running behind money...!! sometimes passion or interest is also involved in it, rather money..!!

    so, one should try to leave a balanced life....!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I dedicate this Song(One of My Fav) to your this blog.

    It's a new day, but it all feels old
    It's a good life, that's what I'm told
    But everything, it all just feels the same
    And my high school, it felt more to me
    Like a jail cell, a penitentiary
    My time spent there only made me see
    That I don't ever wanna be like you
    I don't wanna do the things you do
    I'm never gonna hear the words you say
    'Cause I don't ever wanna, I don't ever wanna be
    You...don't wanna be just like you
    What I'm sayin' is this is the anthem
    throw all your hands up, you, don't wanna be you
    "Go to college, a university, get a real job,"
    That's what they said to me
    But I could never live the way they want
    I'm gonna get by and just do my time, out of step while they all get in line
    I'm just a minor threat so pay no mind
    Do you really wanna be like them, do you really wanna be another trend?
    Do you wanna be part of their crowd?
    'Cause I don't ever wanna, no I don't ever wanna be
    You...don't wanna be just like you
    What I'm sayin' is this is the anthem
    throw all your hands up, you, don't wanna be you
    Shake it once, that's fine
    Shake it twice, that's okay
    Shake it three times, you're playing with yourself again
    You...don't wanna be just like you
    What I'm sayin' is this is the anthem
    throw all your hands up,
    Y'all got to feel me, sing if you're with me,
    you, don't wanna be just like you (just like you)
    This is the anthem throw all your hands up,
    y'all got to feel me, sing if you're with me
    Another loser anthem (Whoa-oh)
    Another loser anthem (Whoa-oh)
    Another loser anthem (Whoa-oh)
    Another loser anthem (Whoa-oh)

    ReplyDelete
  5. દિલ પુછે છે મારું, અરે દોસ્ત્ તું ક્યાં જાય છે?
    જરાક તો નજર નાંખ, સામે કબર દેખાય છે.

    ના વ્યવહાર સચવાય છે, ના તહેવાર સચવાય છે,
    દિવાળી હોય કે હોળી, બધુ ઓફિસમાં જ ઉજવાય છે.
    આ બધું તો ઠીક હતું, પણ હદ તો ત્યાં થાય છે,
    લગ્નની મળે કંકોત્રી, ત્યાં શ્રીમંતમાં માંડ જવાય છે.
    દિલ પુછે છે મારું, અરે દોસ્ત્ તું ક્યાં જાય છે...

    પાંચ આંકડાના પગાર છે, પણ પોતાના માટે પાંચ મિનીટ પણ ક્યાં વપરાય છે,
    પત્નીનો ફોન બે મિનીટમાં કાપીએ છે, પણ ક્લાઈન્ટનો કોલ ક્યાં કપાય છે.
    ફોનબુક ભરી છે મિત્રોથી, પણ કોઈનાયે ઘરે ક્યાં જવાય છે,
    હવે તો ઘરનાં પ્રસંગો પણ હાફ-ડે માં ઉજવાય છે.
    દિલ પુછે છે મારું, અરે દોસ્ત્ તું ક્યાં જાય છે...

    કોઇને ખબર નથી, આ રસ્તો ક્યાં જાય છે,
    થાકેલાં છે બધા છતાં, લોકો ચાલતાં જ જાય છે.
    કોઇકને સામે રૂપીયા, તો કોઇકને ડોલર દેખાય છે,
    તમેજ કહો મિત્રો, શું આને જ જીંદગી કહેવાય છે?
    દિલ પુછે છે મારું, અરે દોસ્ત્ તું ક્યાં જાય છે...

    બદલતા આ પ્રવાહમાં, આપણા સંસ્કાર ધોવાય છે,
    આવનારી પેઢી પૂછશે, સંસ્કૃતિ કોને કહેવાય છે.
    એકવાર તો દિલને સાંભળો, બાકી મનતો કાયમ મુંઝાય છે,
    ચાલો જલ્દી નિણૅય લઇએ, મને હજુંય સમય બાકી દેખાય છે.
    દિલ પુછે છે મારું, અરે દોસ્ત્ તું ક્યાં જાય છે...

    દિલ પુછે છે મારું, અરે દોસ્ત્ તું ક્યાં જાય છે?
    જરાક તો નજર નાંખ, સામે કબર દેખાય છે.

    ReplyDelete