Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Happy Republic Day

Happy Republic Day.

This is not yet another day like Valentine's Day, Friendship Day etc etc. This probably means a little more than that.

I was very enthusiastic at 7:50am when I left for flag hoisting ceremony held at IIT Madras, but disappointment and despair filled my heart as enthusiasm gave out looking at the attendance of less than 40 out of more than 400 professors and less than 100 out of more than 5000 students. It seems IIT judges India's nerves very well. The organizers were so confident about PATRIOTIC(!!!!) Indians' nature, that they brought not more than 200 chairs; and to prove them right, though sad, IITians didn't turn up for the celebration. (At least don't ask me celebration of what)

Not just IIT, even telecom service providers are also well versed with our Indianness. (Does it really exist???) Rates of sms and calls will touch the skyline on Valentine's Day, Friendship Day, Diwali, Eid, Christmas and bla bla bla, but on Republic Day or Independence Day, there's no need for any hike in the rates, as this probably doesn't even mean to the mass as a festival.

Ever heard anyone saying, I'll buy something on the Independence Day or Republic Day??? The superstitios lot of the Hindu population will buy new things on Diwali, Dushera etc, because those days are claimed to be auspicious, then what is this day? Isn't it a festival? To me, it is. I'm blogging about every possible social issue ranging from reservation to patriotism to casteism to religion to politics. How can I do so? I'm writing against the prime minister too. How do I get this freedom? This courage?

Republic Day gives me that courage. It gives me space to breathe. It allows me to assert. It gives me freedom of speech and freedom of expression. It humanizes me and makes my life livable. Thus it is probably the biggest festival for me, and I feel, should be for every Indian.

There had been some nice experiences seeing an auto driver carrying the national flag with the auto. Illiterate he may be according to Indian census, but I would call him a laureate. At least he knows the significance of the day in a crowd full of so called IITians, so called future of India, for whom Republic Day is nothing but yet another holiday, a day to rest peacefully after the four days' hangover of Saarang (annual cultural fest of IIT Madras held between 22 to 25 Jan) or a day to go on trips or movies.

I am not juvenile to say that only he/she who comes to flag hoisting is patriotic, and not others. If you're doing some constructive work for the well being of the fellow countrymen and human race as a whole, it would be better not to halt and continue; but sleeping peacefully in the room or just roaming around is certainly not something I can appreciate.

It feels disgusting when I have to remind someone of the flag hoisting ceremony.

Looking at the tricolour waving in air and reciting the national anthem is not our duty, it's our right. It's a celebration, it's a reminder of being Indian.

But with the present scenario, it even feels in vain to blog about this. It's really going to be an exhausting task to revive the feeling of being Indian in the Indians, but to achieve something, you must begin.

And this was my humble beginning. I hope you would introspect and make your integrity even stronger and dedication towards the nation versatile.

Happy Republic Day...

No comments:

Post a Comment